Thursday, May 6, 2010

Time Off New York: Bob Dylan

sg
This week's "Hot Seat" portrait for Time Out New York is not Bob Dylan!

No--for the first time in five years, I didn't have a "Hot Seat" portrait to do. The subject was artist Sheperd Fairey, who provided his own portrait, so I had the week off.

So I decided to do my own Hot Seat-type portrait, and as a subject I chose someone that I would dearly love to illustrate but am sure will never show up in the magazine's, er, back page--Bob Dylan!

All of Bob's projects in the last decade or so--his albums, his Theme Time Radio Show, etc.--have used a particularly "old-timey" aesthetic, and I tried to replicate that here. For that mane of crazy hair that frames that famous face, I drew it all in, one hair at a time, to give it that wild look that's so famous.

Rest assured, the Hot Seat portraits will be back next week!


No comments: