Monday, May 17, 2010

I Am An American

sg
Like a lot of people, I was pretty horrified at the new immigration laws passed in Arizona a few weeks ago.

For days afterward, I did some more reading about the situation, and thought about it. I wanted to say something about it, but wasn't sure what. Finally, I decided, like I frequently do, to stay away from any sort of protest-y statement, and try and say something positive from the other side of the debate (like I did with my Polar Bears Say Vote Obama poster).

So I decided the poster would have a simple, declarative statement--I Am An American--over a picture of different people, all of whom make up this great country. I asked a friend of mine to pose for it, and then used only simple red, white, and blue (okay, and a little black) to do the portrait.

I originally had a lot more design elements on this, because that's my normal way of doing these things. But I realized that all the bells and whistles took away from the basic message, so I fought against all my own instincts and kept it as simple as possible--even going so far as to use Helvetica for the font. Basic, basic, basic.

No one race has the monopoly on being a patriot or to be called an American.


2 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Love it Rob, simply great!

rob! said...

Thanks Joe! I'm looking to do more in this series, so if you or anyone you know would want to pose for an "American" poster, lmk!