Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Old School Spencer Tracy

sg
I was going through portraits of old movie stars, sort of just meandering around looking for ideas.

During my first year or so with this illustration style, Spencer Tracy was a frequent subject. I was an am a big fan of his films, and his craggy, serious face was a great match for my angular, rough style.

So I when I did this piece last week, I tried to use my digital tools to replicate the way this piece would have looked if I had done it via cut paper and glue, like I used to. I kept the details to a minimum, using more hard, straight angles, and had just the one gray tone.

To finish it off, I even dropped in a piece of construction paper, to give it that extra bit of roughness. In the end, I was pleased it came out looking so close to those early pieces!


No comments: