Friday, May 21, 2010

From The Vault: Marvin Gaye - 1994

sg
Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. Leaving all the mid-tones out gave this piece a, if I may sound horribly pretentious, a gritty immediacy that I really liked. I had just purchased Gaye's classic What's Going On album, and I was listening to it a lot while working on this.

I remember one time I was showing my portfolio to one of the art directors at Columbia Records/Sony Music. When he got to this piece, he said, in amazement, something to the effect of "Wow, how do you do this?" After hearing something like that, I was sure that I'd be doing CD covers for the legendary Columbia Records in no time.

Ah, 1995 version of me: how naively optimistic you were...


1 comment:

Sean Tiffany said...

Of all the times we set up an appointment, drove into the city, and met with some sort of art director (and you did it a hell of a lot more than I did) did we EVER get even one assignment from all of that leg work???

Thank you internet, thank you...