Friday, May 7, 2010

From The Vault: Mother's Day - 2006

sg
Since its Mother's Day this weekend, I thought I'd post an old piece that was done as a Mother's Day present.

I don't remember the name of the family this was for, but I was contacted by the husband of this woman, commissioning me to do a private portrait of his wife and their child as a Mother's Day present.

This piece was so complex I had to do it in stages, and build it slowly bit by bit. There was something like fifty different layers of elements, and I wanted to make sure this piece has a gentle smoothness that a lot of my work frequently doesn't have: hard edges on a child's face just looks weird! I also left out any solid black on the piece, to give it a more gauzy feel.

I thought it came out pretty well, and apparently it went over really well as a gift.


No comments: