Monday, February 2, 2009

Frankenstein, Part I

sg
I'm working on a project that involves producing new covers for a series of previously published Frankenstein books.

I've just started working on the first cover, so I thought as I go through the process, I'd post each stage along the way so you can get an idea of how I work...for this project at least.

So the first stage was going out and shooting my own photo reference, which I had done a week or so ago. I knew that for the cover I wanted Frankenstein making his way through a grim forest, no doubt being chased by a mob of torch-wielding townspeople, so I shot photos some nearby woods.

After going through the photos, I worked up this pencil sketch based on what I had, to see what the image would look like with just heavy lights and darks.

Part 2 coming soon!


No comments: