Friday, January 30, 2009

From The Vault: Ed Wood - 1994

sg
This was my tribute to the late, great Ed Wood. I had been aware of his work before the bio-pic starring Johnny Depp came out that year, but afterwards I had a greater appreciation for the man and his films (classics like Glen or Glenda, Bride of the Monster, and his opus, Plan 9 From Outer Space).

I knew I had wanted some grungy, cheap-looking element to add to the portrait, so I found some shots of his films from a video catalog, and then copied them on a Xerox machine, so they'd come out all blotchy and ragged--I figured what better way to honor the man?

This was one of the first pieces I ever did where I "pulled back" and made the very style of the piece part of the piece--people asked me why the collage elements look so cruddy, and of course that was the whole point.


No comments: