Friday, January 2, 2009

From The Vault: Lost Time Out Portraits

sg
I thought I'd do something a little different this week for the "From The Vault" segment, so today I'm posting the (so far) four subjects of Time Out New York's "Hot Seat" column that, for one reason or another, ended up getting cancelled before they saw print. That meant, of course, that the artwork I did for them was also abandoned.

But for whatever reason, I kept them around, so here they are: up top is Brooke Shields, who was starring in Chicago on Broadway at the time, which is why I was going for the Cruella DeVille-look you see above.

Next is Dolly Parton:
sg
This piece looks kinda grotesque because its not finished--Ms. Parton's giant mound of hair, sans detail I would've added, looks more like a giant pile of spaghetti. This was the only time that the interview got cancelled before I ever finished the piece.

Next is actor Patrick Wilson:
sg
Wilson has been in movies like Little Children and Lakeview Terrace (and will be in Watchmen in March) but here he was promoting his role in a revival of the play All My Sons, which concerns itself about a man who sells faulty weapons to the U.S. government during World War II.

Last is the most "famous" of my lost pieces, actor Rob Lowe:
sg
Lowe was promoting a Christmas-themed TV special he was starring in, and that week the magazine sent me two subjects--Lowe and actress Jennifer Hudson--because they didn't know which interview was going to pan out.

I did them both, and while the Hudson one turned out fine (you can see it about 2/3rds down on this page), for whatever reason this one really ended up something inspired.

I wanted to get in the Christmas angle, but didn't want anything with a tree, or Santa, or anything like that---so I went for something snowy and quiet, which felt Christmassy to me but not cheesy.

Of course, word came down from the magazine that the Lowe interview was off, Hudson was on. *sigh*

This ended up being one of my all-time favorite pieces I ever did for Time Out, and I put it on my website anyway, I was too proud of it to let it go to waste!


Link

No comments: