Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Jelly of the Month: Two-Face

sg
I belong to an online art blog called Jelly of the Month, where the admins of the blog pick a theme, and every artist involved submits a piece related to that theme. I've been doing it about a year now, and it's a lot of fun, since there's really no pressure.

This month's theme is "Favorite Villain" and for a few weeks I mulled illustrating one of my favorite bad guys (Black Manta, Ming the Merciless, Dick Cheney) but finally decided to go with someone that has always inspired me visually--Batman bad-guy Two-Face.

When working on this, I liked the idea of putting the scarred side of former Gotham City D.A. Harvey Dent almost entirely in shadow, and I think it came out kinda cool. The portrait isn't based on either actor to portray the character (first, Tommy Lee Jones, then last year Aaron Eckhart)--I didn't want it tied to a particular famous face.

And yes, fellow comic nerds, I am aware that I put the scarred part on the wrong side of Dent's face. Fifty lashes with a copy of Batman #400 for me!


No comments: