Friday, January 16, 2009

From The Vault: Dems - 2004

sg
sg
Back in 2004, I was engaged as never before in politics, like a lot of people wakened from a general political slumber by the first term of George W. Bush.

So, in an effort to feel involved (and, truth be told, to hopefully score some work in political magazines) I decided to do a series of portraits of Bush's potential Democratic Party challengers.

I started with Howard Dean, which came out okay (the likeness is off a bit), and then I moved on to General Wesley Clark, which I thought came out pretty well.

And then...I stopped. My...lack of enthusiasm let's say over the 2004 crop of candidates must have crept from the back of my mind to the front, since I could never muster the requisite gusto to do portraits of Kerry, Edwards, etc., which I think was a microcosm for how most of the country felt.

I realized I needed a candidate I could get excited about to be artistically inspired. And guess what happened?


No comments: