Friday, February 6, 2009

From The Vault: Mad Hatter - 1997

sg
With the New York Comic Con this weekend, I wanted to find something comic book-y in the vaults, luckily I had a lot to choose from.

This, of course, is a portrait of actor David Wayne in his role as The Mad Hatter on the Batman TV series. This was one of the first portraits I tried in this full-color mode, and I was really happy how it came out. I added the tilted comic book-y panel border and orange background, which I thought made the thing *pop* all the more.

Normally, when a piece comes off this well, I try more in the same style, but I think that because, in the end, I didn't really add much to what was already there (the Batman TV show hardly needed to be colored any more vibrantly, after all) I decided to leave it alone and not try something so specifically tied to the reference again.

On an unrelated note, I think The Mad Hatter is probably the last great Batman villain not yet done in a live action Batman movie.


No comments: