Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wanted: Selina Kyle

sg
Like a lot of artists who also love comics, I can't help but try my hand at real life-style shots of various superhero characters. Most of the time they don't come out that well, so once I finish them they pretty much disappear.

But occasionally I get something like this, a portrait of Catwoman I did based on a woman walking the NY Comic Con a few weeks ago. When I saw her, I was stunned at the attention to detail of the costume, and the fact that a living, breathing human woman could fit herself into such a tiny, form-fitting suit (you can see one picture I took of her on the floor of the con here).

I really liked the strident, proud pose she took, which exactly fits the personality of Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman. So as I was trying to think of a background to go with the portrait, I hit upon the idea of Selina posing in front of a wanted poster of herself, striking the same exact pose. It seemed like a very Catwoman-ish thing to do.
Link

(You can't really see them because they're obscured by her, but the list of charges the GCPD says Catwoman is wanted for are: Robbery, Breaking and Entering, Trafficking in Stolen Goods, Possession of Stolen Goods, Impersonating a Police Officer, Carrying A Concealed Weapon (Grappling Hook), Tieing Up A Police Officer, plus 16 Other Charges)


No comments: