Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Wolf Man

sg
My favorite still from the Wolf Man remake--opening this Friday--is this one, featuring Emily Blunt's character hiding in the woods from the Wolf Man. Its classic Universal, and the scene featuring it in the preview gives me hope this movie will get what makes the Wolf Man story so compelling.

I first tried to do this as an illustration, with all the other design elements you see here in place, but it just didn't look right. Maybe I didn't do a good enough job on it, I don't know, but I liked the idea too much just to give up.

So I decided to do this as a pure design piece, and after fiddling with the photo a bit (the original still is much more horizontal; I had to press the two main elements closer together), it all fell into place and looked exactly like I wanted it to.

And even though it doesn't feature any of my illustration, I think this one is my favorite of the two Wolf Man posters. It would get me to see the movie, at least.


3 comments:

Craig Michael Patrick said...

I'm a little skeptical of the film. I've read about lots of controversy concerning scripting, directing, acting, the list goes on. Regardless, I have my fingers crossed.

Just watched the original Lon Chaney Jr. version the other night and was surprised how Chaney's character was pretty much stalking the female lead before the werewolf even came into play. Creepy. Odd writing, that - even for the golden years in Hollywood.

wiec? said...

i have high hopes for the movie and so far the previews looks promising.

love the poster you did. waaaay better than the ones they have hanging in the subway stations in NYC. Blunt in the foreground is a plus.

nice design. i was going to put a joke about putting it on a tshirt here but well ... not cool. hope they string those bastards up.

rob! said...

Thanks for the compliments WIEC. I don't like to compare my stuff to the official posters, because I'm not working with any of the restrictions those people are.

The t-shirt thing has been settled--the shirts are gone from their store, thankfully!