Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Movie Posters: Out of Sight

sg
I remember seeing this poster in a movie theater, a few months before Out of Sight came out in the Summer of 1998, and I was immediately struck by how beautiful it was--I was grabbed its old school, 60s-esque look, and it made me want to see the movie more than I already did.

I love the old-timey quotes around movie's title, the juxtaposition of the two main stars (and not showing Jennifer Lopez's face--I wonder how J-Lo felt about that!), the rounded corners, and the monochromatic color scheme. The whole thing just works.

I see so few modern movie posters that are more than just a collection of Giant Movie Star Heads, so when someone tries to do something different I try and follow how that movie does at the box office. If a movie with an unusual poster flops, odds are someone in Hollywood will say "That's what we get for doing that kind of poster!", and then the chances of another studio taking an artistic chance like that gets even slimmer.

Despite the big stars, big name source material, and it just being a really good movie, Out of Sight famously didn't do all that well. Luckily, over time audiences have discovered the film, and now its considered one of George Clooney' best. Its certainly one of my all-time favorite movie posters of the last twenty years.


No comments: