Monday, June 28, 2010

I Like It Rough

sg
This was one of those faux-vintage paperbacks that, if I must be honest, doesn't look very vintage: no way would you see a book cover like this in the 50s and 60s, which is the period I mostly draw from.

But this was the image and design I saw in my head, and it came together with a bare minimum of fuss. Once I started putting the elements together, it fell into place very quickly. Sometimes when you have something this minimal there's a temptation to add stuff to it, but I didn't really go through that this time.

When searching for a title and tagline, I found it in a book called Dope Menace, which is a collection of sex-and-drugs-themed paperbacks. The book title is kinda rough, so I thought the only way to make it palatable (for lack of a better word) would be to pair it with the image of a dominatrix--that way its the woman who is clearly, unquestionably, in charge of the situation (details of which are better left to the imagination).

The tagline from the book, "Sweet as sin and twice as dangerous" (I added the "!") doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you think about it, but of course you weren't supposed to.


2 comments:

Diabolu Frank said...

Very Frank Miller/Sin City, except this is good. I like!

Wings1295 said...

I like it!