Wednesday, June 23, 2010

12 Minutes To Murder

sg
I'm not sure why I go through these waves of ideas for faux-vintage paperback book covers. I hadn't done any for months, and now I can't crank them out fast enough.

Case in point, this one, whose title and image just popped into my head while I was jogging, almost completely formed. Most of the elements are from things I've seen in books, but in any case they usually don't form themselves into something so finished.

I got home and later in the day I tried to put this together, getting it as close as what I saw in my head. Its more of a design piece, but that's what I was going for. I like it because, to me, it looks actually vintage, more than other ones in this series, at least.



(P.S. I was watching 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea as I was working on this, so for the author of this fake book I took two of the film's stars and smashed their last names together, Kirk Douglas and James Mason)

3 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Awesome stuff. Did you draw the body, too, or use a pre-made piece?

rob! said...

Thanks Joe. I drew the body (its photo ref'd, like all my stuff, but I did draw what you see on the cover).

Wings1295 said...

Just seems like you are able to get these out so fast. Not being an artist, I just think you are so quick! And it's always great work!