Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Larry Darrell 1984

sg
I was still on a big The Razor's Edge kick last week, so in addition to re(x20)reading the book, I put on the two film versions as I worked.

The first was from 1946 and starred Tyrone Power as the book's protagonist, Larry Darrell, and then there was another in version in 1984, starring Bill Murray, in his first "straight" dramatic role.

I won't get into the details of the movies, other than to say I like them both. Each film differs quite a bit from the book, as they differ from each other. The Power version was a decent-sized hit at the time, the Murray version was not.

But I enjoyed it, so I worked on this portrait of the Bill Murray version of Larry, as he searched for spiritual fulfillment in India. Its no great shakes as a piece of artwork, but it I enjoyed working on it nonetheless.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic image!

Best Wishes.

Shaun
The Razor's Edge Film Site