Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Torgny Sandren, Live in Concert

sg
Last week, I got contacted by Torgny Sandgren, a musician in Sweden who liked my work and asked me to do a concert poster for him. Teh internets are amazing.

Anyway, Torgny had only a loose idea of what he wanted, and pretty much allowed me free reign, which is always nice. He sent me a bunch of ref photos, and all but one had him looking into the camera and smiling. That was fine, but I thought this one pic of Torgny looking down, away from the camera and at his guitar--better suited the mood he wanted for the poster, so I used that as the basis for the portrait.

Torgny also wanted a slightly rougher look, nothing too clean and perfect. So I added a halftone pattern and (although you really can't see it here) a black "ink" line along the edges of the dark blue layer, giving the piece more of hand-drawn feel.

Torgny really liked it, and after working up an alternate version of the poster in Swedish, I sent them off. I had a lot of fun with this, Torgny was great to deal with, and I hope he gets a lot of use out of the poster!


(I must confess: I partly stole the whole black-and-blue-with-white-block-of-text look from the VHS box to a 1986 Bob Dylan concert movie, Hard to Handle. I've always wanted to emulate that design, and figured this was the perfect opportunity. Thanks, Bob.)


No comments: