Thursday, March 4, 2010

Time Out New York: Tim Burton

sg
This week's "Hot Seat" portrait for Time Out New York is Tim Burton!

This one was a lot of fun, as you might imagine--I had several different ways to approach this, and it just a matter of finding the one that worked the best for me.

Since Burton was promoting Alice in Wonderland, I knew I wanted some day-glo type of colors on here, instead of just spooky black and white. So when I saw that Burton frequently wears those glasses for publicity shots, I figured it was okay for my portrait to include them, and that was where I could drop in the crazy colors.

I also got rid of the dark grey "mid-tone" that I frequently use for my black-and-white portraits, giving Burton a harder, darker edge, one that worked well contrasted with the uber-bright colors.

I had very little time to turn this one around, but it all came together smoothly, and its one of my favorite Hot Seats I've done in a long while!


No comments: