Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Movie Posters: The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms

sg
With my movie poster job completed, I thought I'd wrap up my look back at my favorite posters this week, with my hands-down, no-doubt-about-it all-time favorite movie poster ever!

I can't remember the first time I ever saw this poster--I know I saw the movie first--but I know that when I first laid eyes on it, it grabbed me and never let go. The design, the use of color, the font choices--all of it is, to me, perfect. It makes a (to me) only so-so movie look like it is The Greatest, Most Exciting Film of All Time, and of course that's its job.

I've never been able to learn who designed and illustrated this masterpiece. I guess its a safe bet they are no longer with us--too bad: I owe whoever it was a beer.

A few beers, actually, since I ripped off this poster's overall design (and even some of the artwork) for the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Titles Catalog I designed back in 1999 when I worked for Koen Book Distributors:
sg
...this is my favorite of all the catalogs I designed during my year at Koen. I had little flying saucers buzzing the text throughout, and a tribute to great sci-fi authors on the inside cover--I went to town on this baby!


The poster I put together--for a horror movie called Closed For The Season--will show up here tomorrow!


No comments: