Thursday, July 23, 2009

Time Out New York: Zach Galifianakis

sg
This week's "Hot Seat" portrait for Time Out New York was actor/comedian Zach Galifianakis, currently starring in The Hangover, and the Disney Film G-Force. Busy summer for the guy!

This was one of those "experiments" where I wanted to try something a little different and...frankly, I don't think it quite came off. Galifianakis has this very mellow, slouchy-type demeanor, and I wanted to try and capture that with the colors, and by partly covering up his eyes with "Z" and "G" in a sort of psychedelic look.

I got this week's subject late in the week, very late, to the point where I didn't have a lot of time left after drawing all that damn hair to really sit back and see if it worked. I pretty much put it together, went "Yeah, that works!" and sent it off.

But as I look at it now, I'm not so sure. It's my own fault for not taking a look at it again the morning I sent it in, with fresh eyes, to see if I could improve it at all. But I had to (literally) catch a train, and I didn't make the time.

I'm never thrilled to have something I think is less than my best in print, with my name on it, but over the years I've had to learn to live with it. They don't teach you that in art school...


No comments: