Friday, July 24, 2009

From The Vault: Teresa Wright - 2005

sg
Having worked at a video store for a few years, I became much more appreciate of older movies than I ever had been to that point. Since rentals were free, I devoured as many films as I could watch before my eyes popped out of my head.

Watching a lot of those movies from the Golden Age of Hollywood, one of my favorite actresses was Teresa Wright, who starred in such classics as The Best Years of Our Lives, Pride of the Yankees, and Hitchock's Shadow of a Doubt. She tended to play characters that seemed sunny and simple on the outside, but had a steely determination and a fierce intelligence on the inside.

So when Ms. Wright passed away in 2005, I put together this portrait of her, as my "tribute" (for lack of a better word) to a great actress and a great star.


(Around the same time, I wrote a letter to Entertainment Weekly, taking them to task for the paucity of their obituary for her, in contrast the to space they gave for "news" surrounding various reality TV "stars." They actually printed my letter a few issues later, meaning I've had my words inside the magazine, but not any of my pictures.)


No comments: