Friday, March 13, 2009

From The Vault: Move Over, FDR - 1996

sg
This was another piece I did for the Daily Record newspaper, part of a two-part job: the previous week, I had done a portrait of Republican nominee Bob Dole, and the second week it was President Clinton's turn.

I was really excited to get a chance to do the illustrations for such a timely, relatively major series of articles. I've always been interested in politics, so getting to combine that with my art was rewarding.

I felt like I had really not done a great job with the Dole piece (so it won't be showing up here!), but I felt like I really nailed this one--I liked the placement, the balance of blacks and whites, and the likeness.

I remember getting a lot of compliments on this when I turned it in, and it stayed in my portfolio for years.


No comments: