Monday, March 2, 2009

From The Vault: Hawkeye & B.J. - 1994

sg
I am hip-deep in another set of portraits for Capital G, so I haven't had much time to work on anything new.

But I wanted to put something up, today at least, so I went back into the vaults to find something timely. And since over the weekend I started my newest blogging venture--AfterMASH.Blogspot.com--it seemed like a perfect time to post the one and only portrait I've ever done of someone from the show (thank goodness I already prepared a week's worth of the new blog before now!).

I was still very new at this style in 1994, so I was spinning the dial, doing portraits of all my favorite actors, actresses, and musicians, and seeing what I could bring to each of them with these cut-paper portraits.

This is one the first ones I ever did combining a black and white portrait with a color element, and the very first one where that color element is the actual color seen in the picture--namely, the green fatigues Alan Alda and Mike Farrell wore as their characters.

I was really happy with this piece at the time, but when I look back on it now I see how weak the likeness of Mike Farrell is. Maybe when I get some time I'll give this another spin...


No comments: