Monday, January 10, 2011

The Bride Wore Red

sg
Another faux-vintage paperback, and as you can see from this and last week's, I'm kind of in a more graphic, more abstract sort of zone.

One of the things that's continually bugged me about my own style is sometimes I find the final result to be too stiff, too clean. Trying to be messy and unruly sort of goes against all my internal rules I have in my head when it comes to illustration and graphic design, so its a constant fight to let myself go and let things look messy and unruly.

So while I had a bit of that last week, I really tried to push it further this time around, stripping it almost entirely of niceties and detail, and just going for big slabs o' color.


3 comments:

Wings1295 said...

So much going on that I am freaked out by it. So, I guess that is a good thing, right?

Wings1295 said...

I began to wonder: Do you think people come across these pics and then go off looking for the books? They seem quite real.

rob! said...

Joe-

1)That's kind of what I was going for, so yeah that's good!

2)Thank you for the compliment!