Monday, July 26, 2010

Vote Warren

sg
This idea came to me in a flash of inspiration the other day after reading some articles about economist and all-around egghead Elizabeth Warren possibly being appointed to head the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which would oversee and help implement many of the changes specified in the recently-enacted Financial Reform Bill.

As someone who has watched a lot of financial documentaries over the years, I've become a sort of "fan" of Ms. Warren, and I'm not the only one--she's appeared on The Daily Show (where Jon Stewart said he had a crush on her), The Colbert Report, and Real Time with Bill Maher, among other smart shows. I couldn't think of a better choice to appoint someone like Ms. Warren to out there, making sure various financial institutions don't wiggle out of the new rules set up to (fingers crossed) keep them from blowing up the economy again.

So even though Warren's selection would come directly from the President, not by voting (at least at the nomination stage), I had an idea of a sort of campaign poster to rally support for Ms. Warren. I went searching for ref images of her, and when I saw a shot of her with her thumb and forefinger like you see above, the tagline pretty much wrote itself.

This poster started out in the exact same manner as I do the Monster PSAs, with just red, white, and blue; but I quickly saw that the harsh monochromatic look I use for the monsters just didn't work for a real person like Elizabeth Warren, especially for someone of her erudite, sophisticated look.

Realizing a full-color portrait was the way to go, I the kept the rest of the poster colors to a minimum, with a few added details. Let's hope it somehow lands on the President's desk, and he is so swayed by my work that he does indeed nominate Ms. Warren to head the CFPB.


No comments: