Monday, July 19, 2010

Monster PSA: Dick Durock

sg
Not too long after completing my Adrienne Barbeau PSA, I thought why not complete the mini-Swamp Thing run and feature the man himself, Dick Durock?

Mr. Durock has many, many credits to his name, but to people my age he's really known for his work in various levels of make-up and rubber: as Swamp Thing of course, but also as Battlestar Galactica's Imperious Leader, and as "Frye's Creature" on The Incredible Hulk.

That must have been marinating in my head for a couple of days, because suddenly the tagline popped into my head, fully formed. I couldn't wait to put this together once I had it!

Of course its a bastardization of the classic "three chords and the truth" line, and at first I was content with this just being a silly goof on that. But then it dawned on me that maybe, just maybe, there's an actual point here: considering how many god-awful CGI fests Hollywood keeps pumping out, substituting charm and characterization with spectacle, maybe all you really need is a rubber mask and the truth.


3 comments:

Wings1295 said...

You might just be right about that, Rob.

Great poster, too.

Aaron said...

I love the original "Swamp Thing". And, on another level, I love that you can totally see the zipper running up Dick Durock's back.

my word verification was "conads". Which sounds like what you would kick a Barbarian in.

rob! said...

Crom!