Thursday, April 15, 2010

Time Out New York: Chris Rock

sg
This week's "Hot Seat" portrait for Time Out New York is Chris Rock!

I was really excited about this one, since I'm a big fan of Rock and that always adds an extra layer of fun to doing the portrait.

Even though Rock is a comedian and he was promoting a new comedy he's in (Death at a Funeral), I didn't want anything goofy or light--instead I wanted a straightforward, powerful look, with Chris looking you right in the eye.

The portrait part was easy, but for whatever reason it took me forever to find the right background. I tried all kinds of approaches--some very busy, some very simple--but none of them really looked right to me.

I finally settled on what you see above. I'm not sure what (if anything) it signifies, and less than a week later I'm not certain this was the way to go. But at the moments before I turned the piece in I thought it looked cool, and that was enough!


2 comments:

Diabolu Frank said...

This is among my favorite likenesses you've done. It's a great looking piece.

rob! said...

Thanks Frank. I do like the likeness, but the rest of it I'm a little lukewarm to. Next week's is much better!