Friday, January 29, 2010

From The Vault: Akim Tamiroff - 1993

sg
One of the first dozen portraits I tried in my then-new style, this is character actor Akim Tamiroff, who I knew from his various appearances in Orson Welles' films, like A Touch of Evil and Mr. Arkadin (though he also was in a lot of other great movies).

At the time, I was working at a video store and devouring all the Welles movies I could get my hands on, and Welles had a penchant for lighting Tamiroff in the creepiest, most dramatic way possible, which is what inspired this portrait, I'm sure.

While this piece--like all of them from this time--is pretty ragged, it does have a certain loose quality that I think some of my all-digital stuff lacks. I really like the "open" face, as it bleeds into the background. I still think that looks cool...


No comments: