Monday, June 22, 2009

Visit Orion!

sg
Having seen (and loved!) the new Star Trek movie, I've been in a real Star Trek-y mood of late. I've been renting DVDs of the original series, and watching episode after episode while working.

As a kid, one of my favorite little parts of the series was, over the end credits, how they would show stills from previous episodes. Having not seen all the Treks, I marveled at seeing these little glimpses of adventures, and it made the show's universe seem so big.

One of the stills was of the Orion Slave Girl, which ended up becoming one of the more iconic images from Star Trek. So I got this idea, what if the planet Orion was a Vegas-type vacation spot, and the Orion Slave Girls were used as a selling point?

Once I had that idea, I was off to the races, and the result was this very silly poster.

I had, like, a thousand different Funny Drink Name jokes ("The Mutara Nebula", "The Kobiashi Maru", "The Cloud Minder"), but finally settled on "The Genesis Torpedo", probably because I was watching Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan at the time.

All the elements make for a very busy image, but that's partly what I was going for. It was a lot of fun putting this together.

Rob Out!


1 comment:

Sean Tiffany said...

Awesome, awesome piece! I need to do more fun stuff like this!