Thursday, June 18, 2009

Time Out New York: Lauren Conrad

sg
This week's "Hot Seat" portrait for Time Out New York was Hills star (and now author) Lauren Conrad. OMG!

Conrad was promoting a book she wrote, L.A. Candy. On the cover, there's a picture of some candied hearts, and I initially thought I'd fill the background with pink and red heart shapes.

But then I remembered I had a similar motif just the week before, for my Anna Paquin portrait. And while I like to treat each piece as an independent entity (in that if a certain color, background element, or visual approach works for a subject, I shouldn't worry if its similar to one I did previously), I also don't like it to look as though I just have two or three ideas that I keep recycling, over and over. So I dropped the hearts idea.

Then I went with this--the glittery parade of snowflake-like shapes, emanating from behind Ms. Conrad, which I thought was a nice way of conveying what life around her--and in Los Angeles in general--must be like.

I thought that worked really well, and this turned out to be one of my recent favorite Hot Seats.


2 comments:

wiec? said...

great piece!

i was leafing through this week's issue at work the other day and when i came to the page with this pic on it i was like "where did i see this before?"

then i clicked. my google reader. great stuff bro!

i never watched the Hills before. and while it's a nice portait i still probably won't. no offense.

rob! said...

Hey, no offense taken. I haven't seen the show either, and I'm pretty sure I never will. :)

Thanks for the kind words on the piece, tho!