Monday, June 29, 2009

Frankenstein

sg
This piece was originally for a book project, but that fell through so I finally get to show it off here!

One of the more ambitious pieces I've attempted, I usually don't go for all that realistic background detail (preferring a more abstract look), but in this case it was necessary--and after it was all done, I was really happy with it.

While this version of Frankenstein doesn't rely on any previous version as its source (the Universal version, the Hammer Films one, etc.), its unmistakably the Monster, the one we all know and love.

I stayed away from my typical color schemes (bright red! bright yellow! bright green!),
instead going for an oppressive moodiness that I thought looked pretty cool.


2 comments:

wiec? said...

it does look great rob! the monster is striking and the background trees and the moon in the clouds are amazing.

all in all nice work!

Sean Tiffany said...

Awesome piece! You've told me about it so many times that I've had a picture in my head of what it looked like. This art far surpasses the image in my head!

Great work and screw that guy for not dropping to his knees and thanking you for doing such a great job for him. He should have been kissing your ass to get you to do the other covers.

Some people just don't know how good they have it.

Idiot.