Monday, June 27, 2011

A Death Wish In His Eyes

sg
For this faux-paperback book cover I wanted to get as far away from the aesthetic of the last three or four covers as possible: while they were all smooth and uber-clean, I wanted this one to be rough, rough, rough!

That's generally tough for me, because my eye keeps trying to clean and neaten: that just generally looks "right" to me. But I tried to ignore all that this week, and while the results aren't quite what I hoped for, this cover does have some of that roughness that I was aiming for.


Random Note: The title and (more loosely) the tagline come from the Jimmy Dale Gilmore song "Dallas", which I am familiar with when it was covered by the 10,000 Maniacs (and David Byrne) for their mid-90s MTV Unplugged set. Virtually every line in the song reads like something out of a pulp novel (go check them out yourself!), so they seemed perfect to re-purpose for this week's cover.

1 comment:

Wings1295 said...

I like it, has a "crazy" look to it, like the dude scribbled on his own photograph or diary or something.