Monday, November 8, 2010

Monster PSA: Lee Van Cleef

sg
I haven't done a Monster PSA posters in ages, and this one really makes a shambles of that designation--not only did Lee Van Cleef never play a monster of any sort, he never even appeared in anything like a horror movie (even form-busting subjects like Margot Kidder was in at least one genuine horror film).

But when I was working on the portrait of Mr. Van Cleef for my "Tough Guy" series, I realized it'd be cool to draw him doing what he's most associated with--brandishing a gun. So I figured what the hell, a sentiment I think he'd get behind.

This was one of those instances where I let the image decide what the tag line would be, a sound piece of advice in any situation, I think.


5 comments:

Sean Tiffany said...

I think it's time to move from Monster PSAs to Tough Guy PSAs!

rob! said...

That's a fun idea...

Sue S. said...

Great poster!!
Btw... Lee Van Cleef was in two
horror movies, early in his career.
"The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" 1953
and "It Conquered The World" 1956.

rob! said...

Sue--Thanks for the comment, and of course you're right about LVC's sci-fi credits.

I'm especially humbled because I have a Beast from 20,000 Fathoms mouse pad which I'm using right now!!! Duh!!

Sue S. said...

That is a funny coincidence, on the mouse pad!
I posted a link to your art on
www.thebad.net, in the message board.
I am sure everyone there is going
to like it as much as I do.