Monday, November 2, 2009

Monster PSA: Buster Crabbe

sg
This week's "Monster PSA" poster is Buster Crabbe, one of the biggest icons from my childhood, in his role as Flash Gordon.

Even though Buster Crabbe and/or Flash Gordon is certainly not a monster, Crabbe and the character are forever linked to the movie monsters of that era because...well, they were made all around the same time, and in many cases used a lot of the same sets and props.

The UHF channel that used to run all the monster and Abbott & Costello movies (where I saw them all for the first time) also ran the Flash Gordon movie serials, and at the time I was enthralled. I haven't seen any of them since I was young, and while part of me is curious to see them again, another part of me is a little scared that they might not be any good, and I don't want to ruin the memory.

In my mind, Buster Crabbe will forever have the word "Hero" floating over him, so the tagline for the poster seemed rather obvious. And even though the serials were in black and white of course, Flash Gordon in the comic strip (and the later 1980 movie) was dressed in bright red and bright yellow, so that was a no-brainer as well.



Available:
Buster Crabbe t-shirt
Buster Crabbe mug


No comments: