Friday, November 27, 2009

From The Vault: Frankentat! - 2006

sg
We end Boris Karloff Week where we began (almost), with a piece inspired by a blog about Frankenstein.

Back in 2005, there was a blog called Frankentat!, featuring nothing but Frankenstein-related merchandise. I don't remember how I came across it, but I remember loving its singular focus, and it was probably an influence for me starting up The Aquaman Shrine.

Anyway, the guy that ran Frankentat! saw my work, and asked if I would come up with a blog header, which sounded like a lot of fun. So I re-used the Boris Karloff as Frankenstein shot from my Universal Monster poster, and then did up a brand-new portrait of Christopher Lee as the Monster.

I put it all together, adding the blog's clever tagline, and I thought it was a nifty little piece. Frankentat! liked it too, and it sat atop the blog after that. Not too much later, the posts became increasingly sparse--sometimes a month would go by without anything new--and eventually I forgot all about it.

When searching through my vaults for a Karloff-related piece, I found this, having pretty much forgotten I ever did it. I just checked, and the Frankentat! blog is gone--as if it was never there!

Thankfully, we all have a great Frankenstein blog to follow, Frankensteinia, which inspired me to do this theme week in the first place. Thanks Pierre, it was fun!


To learn more about the Boris Karloff Blogathon, click the graphic below to see how other blogs are celebrating the man!
sg


2 comments:

Pierre Fournier said...

A wonderful series you did, Rob. Thanks so much.

And I'm still looking for Boris in your Time Out piece, dammit.

rob! said...

Pierre-

Thanks!

And, re: the TONY piece--click Boris' name in the last sentence and you'll see!