Wednesday, December 8, 2010


This piece started out as just a portrait of Aquaman's wife and queen Mera--I just thought it would be fun to do a portrait of my favorite redhead (fictional division), something relaxing to work on in between client projects.

But as I worked on it, I thought hey, it'd be fun to have Mera holding an Aquaman comic book (featuring one of her favorite covers, I'm sure). And then the piece sort of morphed into a First Person ad for Aquaman, sort of playing up that old adage about you can tell how good a guy is by the woman who's with him. And since DC (Geoff Johns, specifically) has done such a great job transforming Mera into a top tier character, I figured an ad from her point of view, telling you how awesome her husband is, would be a good, effective way to promote any potential new Aquaman series.

You're welcome, DC.


Sean Tiffany said...

wow....just wow.

Beautiful piece!

Wings said...

WOW. Just wonderful, Rob. Truly one the best Mera pieces, ever!

Wings said...

And I thinking adding in the comic is awesome!

rob! said...


Joe (and Joe again): Yeah, it all came together--conception and execution--quite nice.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!