Friday, December 18, 2009

From The Vault: Lou Reed - 2005

sg
This was an odd portrait I did of Lou Reed. Obviously, it being Lou Reed was less important to me in this piece than the overall weirdo design. Its a strange piece, pretty atypical of the other stuff I've done.

I tried a portrait of Lou Reed a few years earlier, which was kind of blah. This one doesn't really capture him, either--I think I need to do a proper portrait sometime. Lou Reed deserves it!


(Side note: I have to thank my pal, fellow artist, and former roommate Sean Tiffany for introducing me to Reed's work. Back during our first year at the Kubert School, he would play Reed's New York album on my cassette player all the time, and fairly quickly I really began to like it. Thanks Sean!)


1 comment:

Sean Tiffany said...

Robbo, no matter what you say, I think you captured Lou just perfectly. From the semi-lit face, to the pose, to the all over style, I think the whole piece says Lou Reed!