Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Made My Bed

sg
I hadn't done a faux-vintage paperback book cover in a while, so I managed to squeeze this one in between some client work and working on my Hey Kids, Comics! book.

I knew I didn't have a lot of time, so I wanted some real simple, only a couple of colors and one central image. My first thought was to do the book's title by hand, but no matter how I tried it never quite worked. So I went with this cartoony font, and by playing around with the baseline of the letters, I could have it semi-trace the contours of the figure, which gave it that feeling of looseness that I was looking for in the first place.

The last thing I added was the white frame all around, which made everything feel jumbled and slightly claustrophobic--I didn't intend that in the beginning but once I saw it I really liked it.

(By the way, like most of the other covers in this series, the title, tag line, and author are real!)


No comments: