Friday, January 22, 2010

From The Vault: Howard Hughes - 1997

sg
This portrait of Howard Hughes is a piece I did during a time when I was cranking them out at a prodigious rate--only a handful of them were worth anything, but I got faster and learned a lot, so in the end it was worth it.

This piece was one of the first that I added something to once the cut-and-paste part of it was done--I went in with a pencil and added little squiggly outlines to the grey tones. I thought that look worked for Howard Hughes, known to many people more for his mental problems than his accomplishments (at the time--this was long before the Scorsese/DiCaprio movie).

Unfortunately, at some point over the years many of my originals got thrown out, and so the cheap color copy of the piece is the only record I have. In trying to scan it in, the light grey tones kind of disappeared, so in an attempt to make them more visible I fiddled with the piece, until it looked like this.

I actually kind of like it more now, it better gets at the look I was going for at the time!


No comments: